DMV and Driver’s License

Driving in Greenville, SC is essential… As you may have noticed, our public transportation is basically non existent, so driving is the way of transporting from one place to another.

While driving in South Carolina, you MUST have a valid driver’s license, vehicle registration and valid insurance card in your possession at all times.

Your international driver’s license is only valid for 90 days from issuance; after that you are required to apply to a State driver’s license.

Documents you will need to bring with you when applying for your South Carolina driver’s license:

  • International Driver’s License
  • Passport
  • Proof of South Carolina address – your bank statement
  • Social Security card
  • Car insurance (with your name on it)
  • Car registration (with your host family’s name on it)
  • Letter from Cultural Care (that letter is only valid for 90 days – if your letter is expired, let me know and I will get you a new one)

The following locations are DMVs that offer services to international customers:

1) Greenville -Saluda Dam – (864) 241-1147

15 Saluda Dam Road
Greenville, SC 29611

2) Greer – (864) 801-9375 *** Best customer service ***

610 Arlington Road
Greer, SC 29651

3) Spartanburg – (864) 594-4940

1625 Southport Road
Spartanburg, SC 29306

4) Laurens – (864) 682-3213

390 Fairgrounds Road
Laurens, SC 29360

5) Seneca – (864) 882-8698

13009 South Radio Station Road
Seneca, SC 29678

6) Rock Hill – (803) 329-6332

305 Hands Mill Road
Rock Hill, SC 29732

You will be required to take a test and you can find the manual here.

Cultural Care strongly urges all au pairs to obtain a state license, as it is the only way to make certain that their ability to drive legally in the state is not called into question.


Saturday, 5 August 2017 8:30 PM


Leave a reply